Saturday, April 11, 2009

Do you know what your teenager is reading?

Whats poppn’ this week? How about a backwards clumsy teenage girl that finds herself among vampires and werewolves? Yes, I am talking about the Twilight saga. There are a total of 4 books, Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn. Although these books are an easy read and geared toward teenage readers, I can tell you first hand they were quite entertaining. “There have been 25 million copies worldwide and 20 million of them have been sold in the USA alone” (WikiAnswers n.d.). It is almost impossible to walk into Wal-Mart or even Kroger without seeing a Twilight T-shirt, poster, book, or hats. Of course a bestseller like this has to be made into a movie. The movie was ok as far as books to movies go. How amazing would it be to have a boyfriend that sparkles like diamonds when he is in the sunlight? What’s more awesome then vampires that play Americas favorite past time game: baseball. While reading the book I could hear the crack of the bat hitting the ball, as thunder strikes the heavens and the swoosh of vampire feet running to catch a fly ball that was hit well into the woods. What teenage girl is not in love with Edward? Remember all the Star Trek fans, Trekies? I wonder what they will call the Twilight fans. Any ideas?

WikiAnswers (n.d.). How many books were sold of twilight. (n.d.). Retrieved April 11, 2009, from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_books_were_sold_of_twilight

2 comments:

  1. My wife in entrapped in that series as well. She has evolved beyond the Twilight series and now seeks out other vampire authors. Regarding Twilight; My wife [forced] me to sit through the first film but apologized that I would not like it (being a chick flick) in advance. Quite the contrary, I found it entertaining and she had the issues. I heard her all through the film saying, "that's not how it is in the book."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I haven't seen the film or read the book but I appreciate what a pop culture phenomena the story has become.

    I also like your video and slide shows, particularly the hula hoops!

    ReplyDelete