Thursday, April 30, 2009

Body Piercing


For this weeks analysis I chose to do some research on body piercing, which seems to be popular among people of all ages. “Body piercing is the practice of puncturing or cutting a part of the human body, creating an opening in which jewelry may be worn. Body piercing is a form of body modification. The word piercing can refer to the act or practice of body piercing, or to an opening in the body created by this act or practice. The cultural norms reflected in body piercing are various. They may include religion, spirituality, fashion, eroticism, conformism, or subcultural identification” (Wikipedia 2009). Egyptians, Greeks, and Roman have peirced their bodies for centuries (Hospital 1998). This type of peircing is a most recent delvelopement in the Western World. Body peircings have grown in popularity in about the last 10 years. Being a form of body art, like tattoos, piercings are a way in which an individual can express themselves. Maybe giving them the idividuality they might seek. Most employers do not allow employees to wear their body jewelery at work, exspecially those jobs that require working directly with the consumer. Although peircing has become popular it is still frowned upon by most conservitives. It may not be for every one but if you like it, go for it.

Hospital Boston. (n.d.). Body Piercing: A Guide for Teens. Retrieved April 30, 2009, from http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/body-piercing.html


Wikipedia. (2009). Body piercing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Retrieved April 30, 2009, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_piercing

2 comments:

  1. I have read your posting and it is well written and thought out. I don't understand why people want to pierce more than their earlobes, however, to each their own. All I ask is to not judge me when it turns my stomach to see someone waiting on me at a subway that has their face pierced in so many places that I change my mind and go someplace else to eat. Again good article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my friend turned 18, she pierced her lip, chin, nose and belly button. I felt she did it as a rebellious act against her mother. When I was 16, I pierced my eyebrow. I only kept it pierced for a month and took it out. I pierced my eyebrow, because I thought it looked kool. However, it wasn’t for me. It didn’t hurt at all though. It felt like a simple pinch, but it got infected and I washed it with sea salt everyday, but still got infected. Anyways, you have great posting!

    ReplyDelete